Mother of Million and Galvanized Burr

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

Kath McDiarmid

Mother of Million and Galvanized Burr

Post by Kath McDiarmid » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:00 am

We bought our 240ha lifestyle block in ‘marginal’ country at Columboola, near Miles on the Western Darling Downs, two years ago.
Our white zone has about 60% coverage of grass and trees interspersed with bare patches and erosion.
Our green zone has eucalypts, cypress, casuarinas and a little brigalow, forming a light mulch layer. It has a gully (up to 3 meters deep in places)running right through the property.
We have had a deep ripper made for our drott and I have started “the plan” just this week.

Our main problems are erosion from runoff,
mother-of-million in some of the shaded areas and
galvanized burr where the soil has been cultivated or disturbed previously.
I just want to ask:
If I rip through the mother-of-million, will it spread it to the rest of the place?
Does galvanized burr mulch up eventually? It is a minefield at the moment!

Ian McDiarmid
“Wongalea”
Ian and Kath

duane

Post by duane » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 am

Hi Ian

Thamks for moving your post to the 'Gereal Questions ' blog.

In answer to your question I need to ask you..... what else is growing on your patch of turf?? I see from your latest blog that you have in "Our white zone has about 60% coverage of grass and trees interspersed with bare patches and erosion"...that's a good sign.

With the galvanised burr that are acting as repairing plants replenishing fertility to areas that have previously been flogged. These plants have exponential growth rates and bring nutrients up which grasses love and have the ability to capture and store huge quantities of Carbon....they are a great source of OM,,,,so slashing them when they have reached their zenith will give you great mulch and raise the organics in your soil. If you have grasses there as you say they will come away.

I would be very reluctant to rip especially with the MOM....others out there may have a specific solution to it....although it does seem to be outcompeted in fertile soils