keyline farming and cracks in the ground

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

greg

keyline farming and cracks in the ground

Post by greg » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Gidday all
I read the keyline book by Mr yeoman and he made a point about deep ripping every so often. I reread peters book and he was talking about cracks in the ground for quick water obsorbtion. I have 2 patchs of dirt that have had no more that 5% covering of plant growth for at least 10 years. About 8 months ago I built a deep ripper (A supported star picket really) and broke the ground open to about 6" deep. After a little rain I appear to have a plant covering of about 30%, some thing possitive has happened but what is working, peters cracks or Mr Yeomans deep rip? Either way it appears to be working so have proceeded to break the ground in other areas to try it.
have a good day
Greg

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:01 pm

I am wondering, is this the sort of place deep rooted annual plants could work. Some of the plants that send down tough strong roots in hard compacted soils, opening them up and allowing in air and water. The plants bring the lower down nutrients to the surface leaving it there when they die and reseed. This could be the type of area Peter refers to that needs reconditioning and sewing some of those deep rooted plants even with a desirable crop can open the way for their roots to follow.
Shirley

greg

Post by greg » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks shirley
That makes good sense, I will have to try a few more experiments.
Ta
Greg

Shirley Henderson

deep rooted plants

Post by Shirley Henderson » Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 am

HI Greg, How is your land going? Have you had any rain yet? I would like to mention a plant worth trying although it is considered a weed. Paddy's lucerne or sida rhombifolia. It has very deep roots and grows up to a metre. It is a very fibrous plant that can open and break up very hard compacted soils. It grows well in open sunny sites but collapses and does not persist when it it fertile and moist. I have been watching this one closely and think it could be a good plant to add fibre to your soil. It has been used in the past for making rope. It is edible by stock but is not first choice. I have stopped removing this one from bushland and if anyone questions it I tell them it is good fibre and organic matter for the soil (building fertility). I say just like we need fibre in our bodies, the soil too needs fibre. Since reading Peters books I have become very interested in weeds and how, why and where they work. This one could be worth a try if your land is compacted. Do your own research of course.
Shirley