Protect Undisturbed Natural Forest from Exotic Vines?

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

bushweeder

Protect Undisturbed Natural Forest from Exotic Vines?

Post by bushweeder » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 am

Hi, I have read both of Peter's books and found them very enlightening. I am currently assisting some landholders ranging from private individuals to state agencies, to restore/protect natural areas. This ranges from dry and sub tropical rainforest to areas of wet eucalypt forest and woodland in areas across the Daguilar range in SEQ.

My question relates to the history of some of these sites. Most of them are largely undisturbed except for selective logging in the earlier part of last century. Therefore fertility and hydrology should be very good or not practical to alter by changed management practices, particularly given that there is very little access to these steep forested areas.

However, weed seeds etc are still being carried by wind, water, birds and occasionally vehicles to these largely pristine areas, where they may actually reduce or at least distort the natural (?) biodiversity.

Vines such as Madeira, Cat's Claw and Moth vine appear to thrive and can sometimes smother large areas of forest, reducing the biodiversity beneath them.

What could be wrong or out of balance within these areas that would allow this to occur, and can these vines improve them in the long term? There are many rare and endangered plant/animal species in these areas that should be worth protecting, especially in the rainforest areas. If these weeds are beneficial should vehicle hygiene procedures be abandoned?

Dutchman's Pipe is also a problem and is poisonous to the endangered Richmond Birdwing butterfly. The extinction of the Southern Day frog has been suggested to be linked to introduced fungi and the 'plugging up' of micro-habitats in watercourse rock crevices by mistflower and lantana etc.

Does anyone have some theories on what can or should be done to preserve rare species and ecosystems that appear to be under pressure from outside? Altered Fire regimes and fragmentation from land clearing etc have certainly taken their toll over the years, but in areas where this has been stopped or has not occurred, exotic vines continue to arrive from nearby disturbed or unmanaged areas.

Arrival of new species to our forests has certainly been happening for thousands of years but never at this rate.

I suppose this is not a 'Farming" query but if the fertility of low lying areas depends on maintaining healthy biodiversity in our mountain forests then it is relevant to NSF.

I would appreciate some advice from anyone who has experience with protecting large undisturbed natural areas using NSF principals.