Slashing Weeds with multi disc mowers

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

Euan McLean

Slashing Weeds with multi disc mowers

Post by Euan McLean » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

I have had a "cursory" experience with multi disc mowers ie Lely or Viacom in roadside mowing. This type of mower was the machine of choice for roadside mowing in Victoria during the 60 / 70's and "we / Qld MRD" used a couple experimentally. A "problem" this machine had in service was to leave the grass standing as it cut through dense patches, the blades cut at ground level but the intertwining of the upper grass kept the "patch" errect. Passing truck winds eventually flattened it but!
Now I'm sure I saw a similar machine being used by Peter in his first Australian Story and I suspect Peter used it for a purpose in that it cuts without mulching therefore uses less power, is much faster across the ground and I'd like to know if vegetation left on the ground after being cut in this manner is a "better" mulch product than mulch produced by a slasher?

duane

Post by duane » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Euan

You are observant....I'll ask Peter and post a reply.
Last edited by duane on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringybark

Post by Stringybark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Just a bump on this thread.
Any answers yet? I can't decide in my mind what would be most beneficial.

duane

Post by duane » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Euan

Peter did have one of those machines you described.

It was quicker and did'nt bruise the plants.

He said there is a flailing machine you can attach alongside or behind to enable seed to be released into the mulch.

Stringybark

Post by Stringybark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Duane,
Is Peter saying that it is better to just mow and leave the plants lying as a coarse mulch, such as with a disc mower?
Or to chop them into smaller pieces, a finer mulch, with a slasher or flail mower?
Does it matter either way?

Euan McLean

Post by Euan McLean » Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 am

When this type mower cuts it does not mulch, the product "just lies down" and generally along the same path. So if your vegetation was thick enough I'd imagine it could be laid "along a slope" as a barrier to water flow?
My query is though, is vegetation left on the ground "untrammeled" better for the soil than that put through the "mulcher" / slasher? The slasher uses more energy and releases much of the vegetation's moisture so I'd expect it to "rot down" quicker. But is that what's best for the soil?

Julian

Post by Julian » Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 pm

I too am wondering what would be best, and have decided that your disc mower would be best for the following reasons:
1. Speed.
2. Cuts thru thicker stuff OK.
3. Leaves the plant in a bulkier state, hence more surface area to cover ground and hold in moisture.
4. Could be raked into /along contour lines.

I use a Slasher as that is all I have, and am always disappointed at the amount of mulch left behind, and when there is a thick section it cant cope.