Horse with stringholt

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

johnboy

Horse with stringholt

Post by johnboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 am

My horse has string holt due to eating flatweed, false dandelion. I have just read that I need to remove my horse from the paddock and give it vitamin B injections to help him recover. Any other suggested treatments? About to get a paddock bailed that has heaps of flatweed in it. Will the chemicals toxic to horses still be toxic once the hay has dried out? What is the natural sequence to remove/reduce the prevalence of this plant? It is obviously mining minerals with its deep tap root. Should I slash it instead of bailing it? Hope you can help, thanks.
John

duane

Re: Horse with stringholt

Post by duane » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi John

Just came across your post.

Sounds like you need to increase the biodiversity of plants in the paddock where there may be nothing else much for the horses to eat.

You could try slashing (on the contour) and then scratching over the surface with a light tyned implement.

This may encourage seed germination and increase in other species.

Keep the horses out but if not possible get hold of some good pasture hay and offer that along with whatever is left in his paddock.

Lets know how you go.

allinone

Re: Horse with stringholt

Post by allinone » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello John
When my small dog ate ratsack and the vet would not supply a Vitamin K injection as they were too busy I promptly found all the sources of Vitamin K and bought a small capsule type machine and ground up all the herbs to make capsules to mix in the food. Dog is still living 4 years later.

Vitamin K is found in many herbs and perhaps if you bought them in bulk your horse may eat them. Parsley, basil are just two of them. To find the sources highest in Vitamin K I used nutritionists.com and just selected what the highest sources of what I needed and just went from there. Great info for humans if low in nutrients.
BOL :D