p 88: "breeze blows from warmer to cooler"?

If you have any questions about the new 'Beyond the Brink' book or it's contents, please make them here so others can respond or take part in any debate.

Moderator: webmaster

SteveY

p 88: "breeze blows from warmer to cooler"?

Post by SteveY » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:10 am

I am not a scientist either, but my knowledge of weather says that a sea breeze at the coast results from warm air rising over the land, causing cooler air from the sea to move in to replace it. Thus a sea breeze blows from cooler to warmer; the opposite of what Peter claims on p 89. Could someone clarify please?

Peter Andrews

Post by Peter Andrews » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:20 am

Steve

The theory still applies. If I understand your question correctly, you are asking why does the cool air or sea breeze come into a hot area.

You need to remember the cause and effect notion. The comment I made was that ALL systems go from hot to cold ( to seek stability). Thus, when it gets HOT[/b] over the landscape the HOT air moves to the COOLER sea- the CAUSE. The COOL air then rushes in to the land as the sea breeze -the EFFECT.

When we have dense forests along the coast before settlement the palnts moderated the temperatures....and at night when the evapotranspired water of the day recondensed as dew, it warmed the air....the CAUSE, went out to the sea and COOL moist air returned...the EFFECT.