A Royal Flush

If you have had good or negative results from other theories, you might let others know here.

The forum, its administration and Peter Andrews do not endorse any posts nor have any public statements to make about any theory other than NSF.

Individual poster's are responsible for all their own posts. This forum has no comment to make on them, however in the public interest we will allow them to be viewed.

Moderator: webmaster

ColinJEly

A Royal Flush

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 am

G'say All
I have just finished reading a book by Charles, Prince of Wales about his property at Highgrove. Very interesting and informative about the practices there. Some very good ideas.

Cheers

Col.

duane

Post by duane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Col

I have not read the book but I have heard a lot about his Highgrove farm.

Maybe, Col, you could bullet point the main things you took away from the book and enlighten us all??

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:47 pm

The Prince has been an organic farmer since before it became fashionable
Highgrove is both an ornamental garden and a productive farm
As far as is possible it is operated as a closed system
They feed the soil not the plants
Compost is produced aerobically in 12 weeks
Leaf Mould is made using anaerobic, fungal activity, a proportion of grass clippings is added in and heap turned regularly, result in 12 months instead of more normal 3 years, it is low in nutrients but very fibrous, used in potting mixes
Persistent weeds are not composted
Sewage is processed in the 'Sewage Garden' which includes willows which are regularly pollarded, cuttings are used to make baskets and plant frames which are sold
Among the animals at the farm are Black Hebridean Sheep and Aberdeen Angus Cattle
Highgrove is home to the National Beech Collection
No Chemical Pesticides or Herbicides are used
All metal and plastic handles of garden tools are removed and replaced with perfectly balanced timber ones

For those decrying the high price of fuel, there is a picture of the Prince mowing with a horse drawn mower :o