Weeds and Lime

If you have any questions about the new 'Beyond the Brink' book or it's contents, please make them here so others can respond or take part in any debate.

Moderator: webmaster

Beli Mawr

Weeds and Lime

Post by Beli Mawr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I've just finished reading the (so before its time) book "Weeds - Guardians of the Soil." Actually downloaded it from the nsf site and I can see so many similarities between Cocannouer over 50 years ago and Peter now. Quirky book, but a must read.

My question though surrounds the use of lime to remineralise the soil. In Back from the Brink, Peter advises a friend that the $$$ he spent on liming his soil was probably a waste of time and money, but yet Cocannouer, whose views on weeds are entirely consistent with nsf, is quite adamant (albeit without explanation) that lime is a critical component of rebuilding the fibrous soil "sponge."

Any views/comments?

rambling rose

weeds and lime

Post by rambling rose » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I would like an answer to that question as well

Robin

Post by Robin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Yes me too please!

duane

Post by duane » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm

When a soil becomes ACIDIC nature invades that soil with plants (herbs) we call weeds.

These plants try to correct the situation as most plants prefer a ph of 6.5 to 7.2 (generally).

A degraded soil is usually acidic and the automatic response is for plants to come in and correct that situation. Many of these plants have an ability to bring Calcium up to the root zones. Such plants as pattersons curse, compositae and broom.

IF these plants are present and are already repairing the system THEN there is a benefit that liming can bring. BUT it is at an extra COST.

If cost is an important consideration for the farmer, then identify that there is a natural process going on with these 'weed' pioneer species, dont kill or poison them but let them complete their natural job and the outcome, although, slower will be the same as adding the lime.

UNDER no circumstances add the lime in the absence of these plants because you will negate the greater potential of using the lime in conjunction with the weeds.

Mineralisation is only 2% thereabouts of the equation....INCREASING CARBON IN THE SOIL IS THE MAIN OUTCOME FARMERS SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR.

And only plants can do that.

damianoconnell

Re: Weeds and Lime

Post by damianoconnell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Beli Mawr wrote:I've just finished reading the (so before its time) book "Weeds - Guardians of the Soil." Actually downloaded it from the nsf site and I can see so many similarities between Cocannouer over 50 years ago and Peter now. Quirky book, but a must read.

My question though surrounds the use of lime to remineralise the soil. In Back from the Brink, Peter advises a friend that the $$$ he spent on liming his soil was probably a waste of time and money, but yet Cocannouer, whose views on weeds are entirely consistent with nsf, is quite adamant (albeit without explanation) that lime is a critical component of rebuilding the fibrous soil "sponge."

Any views/comments?
My understanding of weeds are that a lot of them are like calcium pumps, retrieving calcium, amongst many other elements, from lower down the soil profile. Since lime is calcium carbonate, then it follows that weeds could do the same job as liming without the cost.

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 pm

I have just finished reading Pat Coleby's book 'Natural Farming'. I have thought of getting my soil tested, but seeing as I am on a sub quarter-acre and because I am renting, have a lot of my plants in pots, I thought the expense wasn't justified. I would be interested to hear from anybody who has followed Pat's ideas and what they thought of the results?

ps can anybody point me to the site where I can download Coccaneur's book?

duane

Post by duane » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:45 pm

matto

Post by matto » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 am

www.soilandhealth.org is another great online resource library.

duane

Post by duane » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks Matto...this is a great site and I too recommend it to everyone.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrar ... iples.html and then click take me to the library this gives you access to many great books free online.