Phragmitis for sale

Where daily bits of info can be added and discussed.

Moderator: webmaster

Gordon Duncan

Phragmitis for sale

Post by Gordon Duncan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:29 am

I have Phragmitis australis and Bullrush, Typha occidentalis, in 10L and 20L buckets for sale, as well as hundreds of indigenous (Maribyrnong catchment) riparian trees and shrubs for sale, all 1-2 y.o. I will deliver within 100k of western Melbourne. Roo proof tree guards also available.
Call Gordon, 0418 310734.
biosphere repair

ColinJEly

Post by ColinJEly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:55 am

Gordon
Welcome to the Natural Sequence Farming website. I grew up in Braybrook, all I remember of the Maribyrnong catchment is acres of thistles in the paddocks! :lol:
Cheers
Col.

Gordon Duncan

Post by Gordon Duncan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

ColinJEly wrote:Gordon
Welcome to the Natural Sequence Farming website. I grew up in Braybrook, all I remember of the Maribyrnong catchment is acres of thistles in the paddocks! :lol:
Cheers
Col.
Howdy Col
I live in Avondale Heights which used to be part of Braybrook before it was developed for housing. The exact spot where a thistle grew is actually a great spot to plant a tree as the thistle roots break up the soil, making the digging easier and allowing the trees roots to penetrate to depth more easily.
As soon as I read Back from the Brink I went down to the river, gathered some Phragmites seed and started propagating. I came across an UK company, Salix, that does reveg with willows and Phragmites, and they grow their Phragmites in large mats on plastic. the lowest cost way I could think of doing something similar was growing the Phragmites in buckets. After 6-12 months, depending of the time of year, the roots have formed a dense mass, I can pick the Phragmites up by the stems, put it where I want in the river and then secure it with rocks. After I've planted 3 buckets of Pragmites I get a fourth, divide the plant into quarters, and put one quarter in each bucket, and keep going.
biosphere repair

duane

Post by duane » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Good onya Gordon...this is a tremendous thing you are doing.

This info is taken from Peter's blog site and from his Truth file and its important to understand when aiming to get a result with these Australian plants and with willows.

This is only the beginning! An examination of the efficiencies of the Australian landscape reveals:-

Carbons in the surfical layers of soil were as much as 20,000 years old and 38% in that surfcial system!

There is clear scientific evidence that the world’s atmospheric carbon, once the Australian landscape efficiencies are recognized, could be sequested into climatic and vegetative cycles achieving a pre-industrial carbon level in 10 to 20 years!!
A book revealed by the ABC, has pointed out the history of water in Australia!
It starts by identifying that the tank stream system and a magnificent wetland in the region of Central Park in Sydney, was drained by an Irishman, devastating Sydney’s water supply. A proliferation of mistakes have followed.

These are based on the European understanding of the freezing and thawing cycles of Europe, thereby creating a regulated landscape system. Where the plants thawed in the valley were able to receive the slow release fertilizer of the processed residue of the leaf drop that occurred in autumn, motivated by the thawing water. On the other hand Australia’s landscape, “the land of droughts and flooding rains” (Dorothy McKeller) had a random system triggered by rain events. The landscape responded by first eliminating hard hoofed animals that had an impact on vegetation.

This meant that in the absence of those hard hoofed animals, the plants had the carriage of being able to block the flow lines. In the long hours of sunlight the growth was so vigorous that these flow lines impeded the periodic flood cycles, so that the water tracked through the higher areas of our sedimentary landscape, this facilitated a series of cone or stepped water bodies, and as they flattened out due to gravity, were able to repeat the orderly system of water release as would have happened after freezing and thawing.

The primary reason Europeans made such fundamental error is that the water tracked through the higher areas of the sediments where the greatest amount of energy existed and therefore the coarsest particles were deposited in the high areas, facilitating a process physically the opposite to what would be expected in Europe.

This has resulted in a set of laws based on European understandings that are completely non functional, under these Australian landscape functions.

You will appreciate in the above dialogue, that the natural sequences of Australia, facilitated water moving through the higher area of the sedimentary deposits. This automatically guarantees that the water in the soil was under pressure and the source water was from the highest point.

Science has not been able to explain why plants live in a pressurised area of groundwater but they know why the likes of willows and wetland plants live in the negative areas. We have so changed this landscape that most areas now require the negative area living plants such as willows and recognised wetlands (swamp) plants. The Australian wetland system however traps sediments and therefore grew faster than the surrounding flood plain (similar to the formation of an extended delta) resulting in over 90% of those areas achieving a positive inground water pressure and facilitating the dominance of the Australian native plants. However, we have introduced 500 different species of foreign animals that has disrupted the native plants and we will require those plants that compensated for the impact of those animals in their evolved environments.

Now we have hard footed animals and many others that eat vegetation whereas most animals in Australia ate insects and had soft feet. I can’t believe the ignorance of people who quote native and non native when such profound changes have occurred. In short, from a perched flow system (Australia’s) to a drainage system (Europe), science requires us to examine all aspects before arriving at the solution.

Both the willows and Phragmites live in this -ve pressure zone.