NSF in South East QLD

Any questions or comments you have about Natural Sequence Farming processes. These could include general questions or ones about your personal problems.

PLEASE NOTE :
We do not endorse any answers from anyone in this forum except Peter Andrews himself.

Please remember, Natural Sequence Farming has to be tailored for your specific problem and to follow general advice may create more problems for you.

Moderator: webmaster

emily.callander

NSF in South East QLD

Post by emily.callander » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 pm

I was wondering if any forum members who live in SEQLD have applied NSF practices to their properties. Alternatively, does anyone know of anyone in general who has applied NSF principles to their properties in SEQLD?

I think it is a wonderful system that has so much potential, i am just curious if anyone in this area has actually applied the principles.

duane

Post by duane » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi Emily

Below is a project Vanessa Alsemgeest is trying to get up as a demonstration site in SEQC. I have cut and pasted an extract from a recent email. You may wish to contact her...see below

'I thought I would just give you a bit of an update on what we are doing as far as NFS goes.

We are currently developing an NFS demonstration site at the Houwing property (this is the one that Peter visited and they have been in touch with Peter since). The site currently has one leaky weir (which Peter installed himself) and several others have been pegged out according to Peter's advice and the expertise of Peter Pearce, our soil conservation officer. We have also pegged out two contour lines at the top of the catchment area and plan to install these in the near future. This site has been included in a National Landcare Program funding application - the fate of which we will know in June (application submitted by SEQCatchments - Col Freeman).

I also plan to develop some extension material for our lessees regarding NFS and was hoping to get some input from Peter to make sure the information I'm putting out there is correct. Many of our lessees (we have about 130 leaseholders) are very interested in NSF and keen to get more info and more field day type activities happening. We are planning on holding another NSF field day in March 2008 and would like to work with you in regards to the structure and content of this workshop as I would like to make it more 'hands on' (ie build a leaky weir in the workshop).

thanks for your time

Vanessa Alsemgeest
Catchment Research & Extension Officer

SEQWater
PO Box 37 Fernvale Q 4306
Ph 07 5427 8152 Fax 07 5426 1097
Mob 0400 225 290
Email valsemgeest@seqwater.com.au

duane

Post by duane » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:58 pm

A new NSF project is about to be started in SEQ.
I will post the details as soon as I am receipt of the full information. Again watch this space.

Petra D

Post by Petra D » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:29 pm

I am looking forward to finding out about the new project.

I am also in SE Queensland, in the Lockyer Valley. I am on 2.5 acres only, and would love to be able to use NSF principles to revitalise this property.

I really believe that with a bit of thought even such a tiny property can benefit from NSF management principles.

Cheers

duane

Peter Andrews coming to SEQ

Post by duane » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:38 pm

NATURAL SEQUENCE FARMING in SEQ

NSF & the ‘Belbrooke’ Demonstration Site

The Belbrooke Demonstration Site
Many of you attended the NSF field day in March earlier this year where Peter Andrews spoke about his philosophies and techniques in managing the landscape. On the morning of the field day Peter constructed his trademark ‘Leaky Weir’ which is a small embankment across a drainage line designed for the purpose of slowing and holding water back so that it loses its velocity, drops suspended soil and nutrients and soaks in the soil. Although we haven’t had a great deal of rain since then, we have had a couple of significant falls during which we observed how well the leaky weir worked its magic.
Field Days & Demonstrations
In response to your requests, SEQWater will be getting Peter Andrews out in September 2007 for a demonstration of how to construct contours and leaky weirs and in early 2008 for an Natural Sequence Farming field day. Due to overwhelming popularity of the first NSF field day both of these events will be held exclusively for SEQWater lessees and invited guests. You will receive a flier in the mail inviting you to these events.

If you would like more information on NSF or to register your interest for the NSF events in advance, you can contact Vanessa Alsemgeest on 5427 8152 or 0400 225 290.