Rudds 2020 Vision: Summit to Map Future

As elections are one of the only times governments and oppositions take notice of public issues, do you think the potential of Natural Sequence Farming should become an issue.

Over the last years billions of dollars have gone into so called 'fixes' for our problems and now more billions are being poured down possibly another deep hole.

Do you think NSF should be given adequate funds to either prove or disprove it's theories?

Let us know your thoughts here.

Moderator: webmaster

duane

Rudds 2020 Vision: Summit to Map Future

Post by duane » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 am

Mark Davis Political Correspondent
SMH.February 4, 2008

KEVIN RUDD will ask 1000 of the "best and brightest brains" to map out a strategy for Australia's long-term future in areas ranging from the economy and the environment to the arts and health.

The Prime Minister said yesterday a two-day Australia 2020 summit in Parliament House in April would bring together talented people from outside government to look beyond the usual short-term focus of politics and policymaking.

The aim would be to come up with policies to help meet challenges Australia faced over the next decade and beyond.

"For too long Australian policymaking has been focused on short-term outcomes dictated by the electoral cycle," Mr Rudd said. "If Australia is to effectively confront the challenges of the future, we need to develop an agreed national direction that looks at the next 10 years and beyond."

The Government's move to convene a gathering on the nation's future is reminiscent of the Hawke government's 1983 economic summit, which that sought to forge a national consensus on economic policy. It also reflects Mr Rudd's political message during the election campaign that he was the leader for the future and would bring energy and fresh ideas to bear upon longer-term policy issues.

But the risk for the Government, which has announced several inquiries and committees, is that voters grappling with bread and butter concerns may see it as an elite exercise.

Mr Rudd said the summit, which he will co-chair with the University of Melbourne's vice-chancellor, Glyn Davis, would not be a talkfest. "The Government's interest is in harnessing and harvesting ideas … that are capable of being shaped into concrete policy options. What we want is for this gathering of the nation's brightest and best to put forward options for the nation's future, to produce summary documents which we will then consider in the second half of the year."

Sensitive to the potential for a backlash against the cost to taxpayers of such a large gathering, Mr Rudd said people attending the summit would have to pay their own travel and accommodation expenses.

The Government has identified 10 areas it will ask the summit to tackle. These are: directions for the economy; infrastructure; environmental issues including population, sustainability, climate change and water; rural Australia; national health strategy; strengthening communities; indigenous Australia; the arts; the future of government; and Australia's security and international relations.

Mr Rudd said participants invited to the summit on the weekend of April 19-20 would be drawn from business, universities, community groups and unions, and would include several eminent Australians.

People would not be invited to attend as representatives of organisations or interest groups but in their own capacity as individuals selected on the basis of merit and achievement.

Mr Rudd and Professor Davis will head a 10-member steering committee which will select 100 people from each of the 10 subject areas. The federal Opposition Leader, Brendan Nelson, premiers and state opposition leaders would be invited.

Dr Nelson welcomed the summit, but would "wait and see" before deciding whether to attend. He urged Mr Rudd to ensure that it produced constructive results.

Mr Rudd said Australia's three-year electoral cycle meant policymaking usually focused too much on the short term.

He wanted to generate a focus on the longer term and to bring people from outside politics and government into national planning and policy formulation.

"Government, irrespective of its political persuasion, does not have a monopoly on policy wisdom," he said. "To thrive and prosper in the future we need to draw on the range of talents, ideas and energy from across the Australian community."

The summit will be asked to produce policy options. The Government will announce by the end of the year which ones it accepts.

End.............................................

We must all ensure that Peter has a place at the table to discuss environmental issues including, sustainability, climate change and water and rural Australia.

I would ask everyone that visits this site to contact PM Rudds office and ask that Peter Andrews be given a seat at the table. And to also contact the relevant Ministers

Kevin.Rudd.MP@aph.gov.au PM
Senator.Wong@aph.gov.au Minister for Climate Change and Water

Tony.Burke.MP@aph.gov.au Minister for Agriculture
Peter.Garrett.MP@aph.gov.au Minister for Environment

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

duane

Post by duane » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:06 am

Please let us know on this blog WHO has been in contact with the pollies listed above....if you believe NSF has a role to play in the future of our great country you owe it to yourselves and all future generations to stand up and be counted in this new inclusive government.

duane

Post by duane » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:14 am

To start the ball rolling and to lead by example:

I have sent an email to all of the above pollies including Defence Minister Fitzgibbon. I am now about to email Malcolm Turnbull, John Cobb and Peter McGauran.

If pollies here from only one person it means little; if they here from 2 people it means more; if they hear from >3 it means a lot.

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi Duane,
I have sent off a letter to each. Anymore? let me know. COME ON ALL MEMBERS THIS IS WHERE YOU COULD REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND GET PETER HEARD :)
Shirley

duane

Post by duane » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm

I have recieved a direct contact in PM Rudds office who will see to it that your requests to get Peter Andrews to the table for the 2020 Summit, get to Mr Rudd for consideration.

Email Jack.Lake@pm.gov.au and in your own words suggest that the PM invites Peter Andrews to the table to hear his message for a sustainable future for our great country.

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Also, here is a website that you can go to and download a nomination form, You can help Peter get to the summit by filling in the form and mailing it or sending by computer.

http://www.australia2020.gov.au

Then go to nomination to the left of the page :)

Shirley Henderson

Post by Shirley Henderson » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Ihave been receiveing replies to my letters. The Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Water Mr Koperberg replied. he said that the Southern Rivers Catchment Management Authority is a partner with Mr Anndrews, the Natural Sequence association and the upper Shoalhaven Landcare Council to implement the demonstration of NSF at Mulloon Creek. The CMA is waiting on the monitoring results from the Mulloon Creek project to determine the effectiveness of the trial so the Government then will be in a better postion to review and assess the broader application of NSF. Also he was waiting on another invitation to another field day as the previous one was cancelled due to rain. However this week he has resigned.
Also I have received a letter today from Assistant to The Premier of NSW who said he had referred my letter to the Minister for Climate Change and wanted to bring my approach to the ministers attention. Also a little more promising he states
"Under the circumstances, the opportunity has also been taken to bring my approach to the attention of the Commonwealth Government. At the end it says
"You may be sure that your comments will receive close consideration."
I hope thats all good stuff. IT SOUNDS GOOD! :D
The other replies I got from pollies all referred me to the 2020 Nomination form. (not much help there). :roll:
I hope theres more of you out there doing a bit of letter writing.
Shirley